Sunday, January 18, 2015

School Lunches


It is pretty stereotypic that school lunches are not the best. They taste funky and make you question what it is even made out of. I know that with Michelle Obama’s plan school lunches are supposed to be healthier and better for students. But, the only change that I have noticed is that we are getting less food. The quality is the same as when I was in elementary or middle school, before the plan was put into place, but the portions have gotten much smaller. I find myself sometimes needing to purchase two meals just to get eight chicken strips instead of four. I use the term “chicken strips” loosely because they are so small and I am not positive they are real chicken.

Anyways, I really do recommend bringing your own lunches because then you can still pack healthy things but still have enough to eat. I know it can be hard, because if you are like me and are just too lazy and rushed in the morning to make myself a sandwich then you will probably be stuck with eating school food that day. But I think it is worth it because I am always jealous when I see the food my friends are eating while I am eating a “chicken” sandwich. There are very few choices of school lunches that seem actually edible, so if you don’t pack your lunch then you are stuck eating whatever the school feels like serving that day.

However there is another choice, and my personal favorite. If your school allows, try to go home for lunch and eat there. It gives you the same benefits as bringing your lunch, but you get to eat from the comfort of your own house.

There are not that many ways to survive the school lunches and not much you can do to change that. The way I see it is you have three options: eat school lunch, bring your own/ go home, or just go hungry. The last option is the worst and I would never recommend it, but sometimes it isn’t worth eating the schools food and you can’t go home.

Helpful Hint: If all else fails, check the vending machines. It won’t be the healthiest lunch but at least you will get something in your stomach.

Word Count: 385

No comments:

Post a Comment