Sunday, January 11, 2015

Studying for the ACT and SAT


It is getting into the time of year when many upperclassmen, such as me, have to take the ACT and SAT. These tests can be very stressful, because they can make or break your college applications. So, you want to do well and study hard for them so you get into your dream college. This happens to be my second time taking it because the first time I didn’t study (would not recommend) and didn’t do too hot.

Quick piece of advice: the sooner you register to take the tests the better, if you are late you will have to pay a late fee and the tests are already expensive without that extra cost.

Unless you are a genius, if you want to do well on these tests, or in my case improve, then you are going to have to study. I suggest starting well in advance because of the variety of subjects the tests cover. One method is to check out some study/review books from the library or buying one from a book store. Similar to AP review books these will basically tell you everything you need to know for the tests. However these can be super long so you are going to have to set aside quite a bit of time if you ever want to go through them. For instance my SAT review book is a little over seven hundred pages long. I probably won’t be able to read every single page by the time of my test, but I plan on doing as much as I can.

If reading is not your favorite thing to do there are other options you can choose from. There are many apps in the apple app store that you can get for free that will help you study for the exams. I downloaded a couple and I think they are really going to be beneficial. Most will have to take a diagnostics test then give you daily questions. I like these exercises because they will give you a few questions every day that are tailored to what you need to work on. The initial test can take a while but the daily questions only take a few minutes. That way you can study a little bit each day.

Another alternative way to study is through online resources. For example, along with cute cat videos YouTube has many videos teaching you what you need to know for these exams. I am sure if you just type into google you will be able to find many videos or other websites that you can go to that are great resources for you to look at.

You don’t have to spend a whole lot of money when studying for these tests. Like I said there are many free options you can choose from rather than spending way too much money on these exams. Even without the study book materials these tests cost around fifty dollars each, so don’t think you have to spend the extra money to do well.

Helpful Tip: When registering for these exams make sure to allocate enough time to do so. I have no idea why these tests are so difficult to register for or why they ask so many questions. All I know is that they take a while and can get a little frustrating.

Word Count: 557

No comments:

Post a Comment